Monday, October 10, 2011

Cant refuse the refuse

We were only a quarter mile from home when I spotted a huge pile of "junk" next to the road. Whenever we pass such trash I coyly smile at Dave. He looks at me, looks at the clock, looks at the kids in the rear view mirror, and then looks back at me. This was a good pile, so he turned the van around.
Our new "treasures"
Solid wood headboard and frame
Two swings
One small cooler
And a huge rubbermaid tub with lid
Some of the items I know I will use, others will be passed on to friends that can use them. I picked up the rubbermaid tub simply for the tub. I couldn't care less what was in it. I was happy to dump the contents in my trashcan or at Goodwill the next morning. But when I looked inside I started to dance. It was full of boy clothes! Clothes just a few sizes larger than what Frank is wearing right now.
Now to the point: Does this make me a trash picking hillbilly? a frugal fairy? pwt? economically intelligent? Will I look at this period of time with a grin or grimace? Right now I think this is amusing. Its a hobby that occationally helps my family and costs me nothing. BUT, I am careful about who I share these episodes with. Certain relatives and friends are told of my great finds. Others, well... if asked where I got a particular item I'd shirk off the questioning with some lame "Oh, some friends didn't need X anymore." Why? Why do I do this?

1 comment:

Emily said...

WHAT? Two posts in a week? You really took Ab's challenge to heart!

I love your garbage collecting. I'm guilty of it myself for sure. And you know which friends will think it's cool and which will cringe. Like last year Brian bought that hair-grabbing drain cleaner thing for every man he knew for Christmas ($2, and SO useful!). My friend Cindy's husband I remember thinking, he won't think this is cool. And I was way right, he crinkled his nose, look confused, didn't laugh. It was a mistake. :)